Details: Brought to You by The Unemployed Philosophers Guild The origins of the Unemployed Philosophers Guild are shrouded in mystery. Some accounts trace the Guild's birth to Athens in the latter half of the 4th century BCE. Allegedly, several lesser philosophers grew weary of the endless Socratic dialogue endemic in their trade and turned to crafting household implements and playthings. (Hence the assertions that Socrates quaffed his hemlock poison from a Guild-designed chalice, though vigorous debate surrounds the question of whether it was a "disappearing" chalice.) Others argue that the UPG dates from the High Middle Ages, when the Philosophers Guild entered the world of commerce by selling bawdy pamphlets to pilgrims facing long lines for the restroom. Business boomed until 1211 when Pope Innocent III condemned the publications. Not surprisingly, this led to increased sales, even as half our membership was burned at the stake. More recently, revisionist historians have pinpointed the birth of the Guild to the time it was still cool to live in New York City's Lower East Side. Two brothers turned their inner creativity and love of paying rent towards fulfilling the people's needs for finger puppets, warm slippers, coffee cups, and cracking up at stuff.
- This complete set of melamine dinnerware features eight 10" original watercolor portraits of our solar system. Planet Plates are dishwasher-safe and light enough to pack for a picnic - yet sturdy enough to orbit the rowdiest potluck supper. Your buffet table can be a geocentric homage to Ptolemy... or you can let the block party know exactly what you think of Copernicus deniers!
- Contents: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune. (Pluto not included. Cause it's not a planet.)
- 100% melamine. Food safe and FDA approved. Plates are not microwave safe
- WINNER of the Museum Store Association's 2014 Buyer's Choice Award for Education & Games!
- From the Unemployed Philosophers Guild. Don't worry. We are employed, just not as philosophers. We're a small, Brooklyn based company specializing in gifts for the sophisticated gift giver. For whatever you need, we have presents of mind.
Brand: The Unemployed Philosophers Guild
Color: Planet Plates
Publisher: The Unemployed Philosophers Guild
Package Dimensions: 10.6 x 10.4 x 3.1 inches